Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sampling Intellectual and Cultural Life in Cincinnati

Lately, I've been attending various events of a cultural or intellectual here in Greater Cincinnati, either alone or with friends. These events have ranged from orchestra performances and science lectures to a book festival. They provide a clean break from thoughts of work, a chance to meet new people, and the opportunity to stretch my mind in different directions. In the past two months, I've been to one play (Tartuffe), three performances of classical music (mostly Tchaikovsky), one performance of contemporary instrumental music, two science lectures (on dinosaur evolution and the role of Big Bone Lick in the development of vertebrate paleontology), and the Books By The Banks book festival.

I'm not mentioning all this to brag or boast, but instead to mention that each of these experiences has been positive. I wish more people would go out and participate in such events. There is life beyond work, sports, and reality TV. I think our nation would be better if more people would stretch their minds a little like I've been doing. It's fun! And educational, too.

No comments: