Sunday, November 2, 2008

Reading for pleasure

Reading for pleasure is an activity I often engage in. Lately, I've been working my way through random volumes of Terry Pratchett's Discworld universe that I picked up second hand, the Sherlock Holmes stories, and a history of the French Revolution, among other things. It is all interesting and entertaining material, but it is recreational. There are other books and on-line materials I read sometimes, for professional reasons. Without that material, I wouldn't be able to do my job.

Either way, for fun or money, reading is important to me. But its not just important to me.
Literacy is a cornerstone of modern society. Some elements in American society denigrate reading nand education, but that's just wrong. It's not being able to read that isn't cool.

No comments: